30 Facts About Me
1. I’m born of mixed race; Malay and Chinese. I can only speak very basic Mandarin and Malay.
2. I’m in my 30s, despite your heart-melting compliments that I look like I’m 21. For those into horoscopes, I’m a Gemini.
3. I’m left-handed when it comes to writing. For most other things, I’m right-handed.
4. I learnt the clarinet from my dad when I was 10. He was then part of the Singapore Armed Forces Band. A medical condition of my lungs in 2008 ended my music journey with the clarinet. I only reconnected with music years later in 2013 when I picked up DJ-ing.
5. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a Diploma in Digital Entertainment Technology. My inability to grasp programming languages coupled with a weakness in mathematics led to me leaving that all behind after graduation. I decided against taking a degree as going to a local university was out of the question and it was too expensive to study abroad / obtain a private degree. Yes, I was born into a very average Singaporean family living in a 4-room HDB flat.
6. I love performing on stage. Past hobbies of mine include card magic and yo-yoing.
7. I’ve been a gamer since I was 7. My most memorable games throughout my journey as a gamer are World of Warcraft and the Metal Gear Solid series.
8. I love the art of drifting. Something about seeing cars go sideways makes my insides excited. I only got interested in Formula 1 after being introduced to the sport by friends and watching Netflix’s Drive to Survive.
9. I’m a terrible racer despite my interest in racing games. There’s a reason why I call myself Driftshadow and not Raceshadow. Maybe Crashshadow could be a good alternative.
10. I’m an extremely strong believer in having multiple income streams and monetizing every asset and skill available. Got rentable gear like a camera or DJ controller? Rent it. Got a skill that people are willing to pay for? Develop it! Got a vehicle that you can use for Grab or Lalamove to meet new people or earn additional income? Do it! Got a space that you can rent for events? Rent it! Maximize your time, skill, and resources!
11. I started my career in sales in 2010. From direct sales, multi-level marketing and more, I found early success in sourcing for investors, raising funds for start-ups and projects before the economic crash of 2015 served me one of my biggest financial losses to my investors and I.
12. 2015 to 2017 would become known to my loved ones as the darkest periods of my life as I had to deal with the repercussions of failed investments, angry investors and clients. I lost friends. I received threats to my loved ones. I made a choice to leave sales of investment portfolios as I spent months thinking about what to do.
13. I managed a fashion label with some business partners doing men’s made-to-measure shirts. I managed the brand as a marketing director from 2017 to the beginning of 2020, just before the Covid-19 pandemic struck.
14. I started life coaching loosely in 2017, only choosing to really get into it in 2019.
15. I coach and mentor clients solely under my own name and I am not working for a company nor do I represent a 3rd party organization.
16. I love the unknown. The idea of a mundane, constant, day-to-day schedule makes me sad.
17. I love going out. I don’t think I’ve ever drained my social battery before. If I don’t see Orchard/CBD/people for more than 48 hours, I get all weird.
18. My wife and I are childhood sweethearts. She is my first love.
19. I’m a simple person when it comes to food. It’s very easy to satisfy me and I don’t have an expensive taste.
20. I’m an even simpler person when it comes to holidays, vacations and travelling. I… don’t.
26. I love making people laugh. It never hurts to have some humour to lighten up the mood. My laughter has to said to sound like a hyena too.
27. I don’t smoke.
28. I don’t eat spicy food. I’m allergic to prawns and I don’t eat cheese.
29. I have sweaty palms. It doesn’t mean I’m nervous, it just comes and goes as it pleases. Air-conditioned places lessen the chances of them getting wet.
30. I am very patient with people. Very little tends to piss me off which makes life happier. Insults literally fly above my head. If trying to make fun of me makes you happy, I’m sorry that you see negativity as a source of happiness.